So Tim King from PACT (Public Action for Change Today) came to talk at Large Group, and this is some of the stuff that I was so convicted about. It’s about Justice, and Righteousness, and loving our neighbors…the real deal, not the fluffy words we like to toss around because it sounds good and makes us feel better.
- righteousness and justice are one word in Greek
- “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul” was on your head, around your wrist, and above your door. so all the Jewish ppl were used to hearing this.
- But love your neighbor?? from Leviticus? As a second commandment? that was pretty shocking
- Do you really love them? do you really understand? Do you really want to understand where they’re coming from, all of their past, all of their baggage?
- Do you ask how someone is out of patience, or because you truly care to know? –> To really ask and mean it is a huge calling–it means you care about the person enough to not just listen, but to take on their crap. it’s love.
- Alter calls came from the idea of people wanting to end slavery and coming up to sign petitions.
- It’s not just enough to be nice to someone. Being nice to someone isn’t love, it’s tolerance.
- Christ is all about relationships. Christ calls me his friend. and friends care. is there a difference in my relationship with God and my relationship with the poor, orphans, naked, homeless??
- Break my heart for what breaks yours.
- Do I really mean that when I sing it to God? Do I really want that kind of love??
- Imagine a church, who, before checking to raise up a worship team, imagine a church that sought deacons to serve those who are left behind. Before looking to get guitarists, pianists, sound guys.
- I cry when I think I’m not being appreciated the way I should be. I cry when I think someone doesn’t care, doesn’t notice, when I don’t matter. and yet I don’t give a damn that these people don’t have a home, don’t have food, don’t have someone who cares, don’t have a voice.
- I get upset when Fang thinks his friends don’t care because that’s the definition of a friend. I almost cry because I can feel his loneliness. I have the gift of compassion. Where is that gift when I look at the homeless? My gifts are not compartmentalized, to be given to whom I chose, to whomever I feel needs it or deserves it. Where’s the abundance, the overflow that pours out joy and sympathy for these people that are forgotten?
- People don’t look to the church because we no longer lead the abolitionist movements. How can we call ourselves Christians and not care about poverty??
- The poor will always be with you. Soooo you should always help the poor because they’ll always be around.
Hosannah by Hillsongs
I see the King of glory,
Coming down on clouds like fire.
The whole earth shakes,
The whole earth shakes.
I see His love and mercy,
Washing over all our sin.
The people sing, The people sing.
Hosanna in the highest.
I see a generation,
Rising up to take their place.
With selfless faith, with selfless faith.
I see a new revival,
Stirring as we pray and seek.
We’re on our knees, we’re on are knees
Hosanna in the highest
Heal my heart and make it clean,
Open up my eyes to the things unseen.
Show me how to love like you have loved me.
Break my heart for what breaks Yours.
Everything I am for your kingdoms cause,
As I walk from earth into eternity.
Hosanna in the highest.
wow. what a powerful song.