Notes from Cedar…Mindy
- it’s the only book of the Bible that starts out with a declaration of love
- Malachi — 400 years — NT
- prophets usually rise up in tumultuous times, but not Malachi!
- they were sacrificing IN a temple, it’s just that they were apathetic
- people were disillusioned — what happened to the days when Moses came down after talking with God and his face was *glowing*?
- Socrates lived in Malachi’s time! No other book uses this narrative/Socratic/i’m speaking as God method
- Nothing can change my love for you –God
- Because I love you, I’m going to hold you accountable and call you out
- I’ll show you a better way
- You will be an example to the world!
- It’s part of the Christian life to feel alone and abandoned sometimes.
- even Jesus said on the cross “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?!”
- Jacob (of Jacob and Esau) gets a name change to Israel and becomes the 12 tribes (Romans 9)
- Hyperbole (over exaggeration)
- we need to HATE our family and our friends–>tells you just how much you need to LOVE God through contrast
- You’re giving me lip service. the words that you say are empty.
- two sins:
- the people brought crap animals to give to God
- the priests LET them sacrifice crap
- The way you spend your money tells you what you truly care about
- tithing should be your first gift–off the top
- God calls us to worship him so we can manifest his glory globally.